Port Townsend Golf Club History

The golf course in Port Townsend was developed in 1906 as a private course called the Spring Valley Golf Course. In 1927, the course and additional properties were purchased by the City of Port Townsend and converted to a public course. The Port Townsend Municipal Golf Course (PTGC) has had various vendors over the years, including the Elks Club, Mike Early Golf Shops, and Gabriel Tonan Golf Shops, LLC.  

PTGC is a USGA regulation 9-hole golf course on 58 acres with additional tee boxes to accommodate playing 18 holes. The course is situated on a hillside which provides spectacular views of the Olympic Mountain Range.  It has a driving range, practice green, chipping area, a clubhouse with Pro Shop, and a bar serving beer and wine. Local organizations and service clubs use golf tournaments for community fundraising. The high school’s golf team practices there regularly, and at least once a year, the course is closed to golfing to host a multi-school cross-country meet. 

Tourists are encouraged to enjoy a round of golf and sit on the deck for a 19th hole beverage. Before the COVID pandemic, the clubhouse had a very popular cafe for locals & tourists. Many look forward to having another cafe business open up when the pandemic is over.   

Recent Posts